Friday, May 21, 2010

I could die, happy

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit. The truth is, things haven't exactly been perfect. I'm concerned about money and locations. There's some "tension" between the producers. I'm not getting enough sleep. I keep losing battery power on my phone from the non-stop calling. But the thing is, none of that matters because I know magic when I see it. And baby, I got magic. I got your magic right here....

We all of us spend our lives looking for that "thing" that makes every day worth looking forward to. The thing that makes the long hours worth every second invested. Sometimes, we find it. Most of the time, we don't. But when it shows up (unplanned and unannounced, ironically enough) we know it when we see it. Your gut says "holy shit I think I'm on to something here" despite your brain saying "on paper, this looks totally nuts." It happens. It can happen. And in case you're wondering if it'll ever happen to you, well I'm here to tell you: yeah it can. Just keep looking.

Case in point #1: We had a hard time finding Mrs. Unger. It's a small role, but important. We just couldn't find that someone who "got" this character, the particular type of person she represents. And then Erin auditioned, Erin who hasn't done this in years but who, after reading the second sentence, caused Jason and I to look at each other and know we had a movie now. We had that THING that brought it all together. We had a MOVIE.

And then Keith, sending unannounced or unasked for his attempt at the most difficult effect we'd written into the script. A video of a throat slash he'd filmed in his kitchen, with a friend, that was so real I had to ask with all seriousness if he hadn't really killed the guy just to make us think he could it pull off. After I picked up my jaw off the floor and watched it a few more times...I knew we had a MOVIE. A movie with scenes that would keep me up at night no less.

How do you make a movie? Well, you have a great script and a great director and a committed team of producers to find the ordinary and sometimes extraordinary people out there that can make your vision come to life. You work your ass off on details both inspired and mundane. And you bring it all together under the umbrella of a vision that says "WE, the BWE cast and crew, with the support of our friends, are going to make a MOVIE."

I'm not afraid to let you all in behind the scenes a bit, and admit we are but real people - humans even. Whatever you think the man behind the curtain is, well: we're it. Those movies you see on the screen or on NetFlix or from your local video store are made by people. We're those people. Who sometimes know what they're doing, and sometimes don't, but always know what it is we're trying to achieve. We're committed to bringing you that vision and making a worthy movie. By the people, for the people. And you're going to love it. As Keith likes to say "It's gonna be SICK!"

If you ever doubted that people can find that thing that makes every day worth looking forward to, I'm here to tell you it exists. Yeah, it exists. Don't give up the search.

Sherrie

No comments:

Post a Comment