Sunday, May 30, 2010

Movie research and our last relaxing weekend

It's the end of May just about, and I've spent the weekend going light on the movie tasks which is an unusual state of affairs. I guess this is because I instinctively know that this is the calm before the storm, that the next few months are going to leave me little peace, and I might as well enjoy the last few moments I have to myself and my sanity. It's a bit like taking it easy before giving birth to a baby - don't rush it cause your whole life is about to change.

Jason and I watched a horror flick last night that was full of potential but didn't quite hit the mark. It was called "The House of the Devil" and was a pseudo shout out to those satanic cult movies from way back when. It was set in the 80s and they did a good job with the retro feel at the beginning, including the camera work, and threw in appropriate period touches like the rotary dial phone with the stretched out phone cord (though I picked up on a pizza special that listed feta as one of the ingredients - yeah feta didn't come into vogue until at least the 90s). The first half hour to 45 minutes of the movie was good, but then things sorta fell apart. By the time they got to the "horror" part of the movie, which was crammed in at the end, it all felt very beside the point, not scary, and a bit boring.

I'll be spending the next few weeks while we're in pre-production checking out these kinds of movies to prepare for "what not to do" when we start creating ours. If anyone has suggestions to share I'll take 'em. Only so many hours in the day to devote to research so I need to choose wisely.

Thank god for Netflix.

Sherrie

No comments:

Post a Comment