Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The one thing a multi-tasker can't do

One of the reasons I think I've settled into this movie thing so easily is I've spent the last 15+ years trying to organize people and things around creative endeavors with no time and usually not enough money. Oh and for multiple projects simultaneously. With the same deadline. Where there is a lot of infighting happening.

I was made to make movies apparently.

Having this as your life, day in and day out, for the better part of every 24 hours does things to a person. Psychotherapy sessions aside, the main thing it seems to have done is made my brain capable of massive feats of multi-tasking. If you're talking to me I'm most likely typing while thinking about something else while having a conversation with you. I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

But what I can't do is WRITE STUFF DOWN.

I am terrible at documenting for people what the plan is, what I've done and what we still need to do. My feeling is if I've laid out the vision clearly enough, and what part I want you to play in it, how we get there is not my problem. If you need a list then you make it. But the important thing is that you take what I want done, figure it out, report back, and revise as necessary to make me happy. Rinse and repeat.

The problem is people seem to be obsessed with lists in the movie business. Every book I read has them. All kinds of people I meet are forever asking me for lists. I have no problems with lists. List away! Just don't ask me for one. I'm too busy making a movie.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment