Saturday, May 15, 2010

Movie insomnia....

I had just settled in for a long winter's night and was dozing contentedly when I heard Jason talking on the phone (I am forever alerting him to the fact that he can sometimes talk really LOUD). As I drifted in and out of consciousness, half worried he might wake the girls but deciding this was not my problem, curiosity overtook my need for sleep and I found myself trying to decipher who he might be talking to. So for the next 5 minutes my m.o. was "sleep...what was that?....sleep...is it one of the crew?...sleep...oh I'm pretty sure he's talking to J."

Now J is the "other" producer for our movie (I had been calling him co-producer but apparently this is not the appropriate terminology) and things have been a bit tense between the three of us as we sort through the creative and mundane differences. AND today I MAY have done one of those stupid moves where you accidentally send an email griping about a person to the, um, person you are griping about. Yeah, good times. So clearly this was a conversation I needed to overhear.

Awake now I stumbled out to the porch to have a non-scheduled cigarette and tried to determine from what little I could overhear through the cell phone whether this conversation was going well or really really bad (as it turns out it went really really well - we are all good). My curiosity satisfied I set off to return to the other side of the pillow.

Au contraire. Yeah see this all happened at about 11:30 and depending on when I get this post finished you'll see I've since been awake for the last 3+ hours. I just can't shut the movie off in my brain now. Which actress will make a better Mrs. Unger? Gotta remember to call the lawyer back. How are we going to structure the deferred payments? I wonder if I should hire that location scout. If we film in Bristol do I need to get us lodging down there? 4th of July party....etc....etc...etc...

Now don't get me wrong - I'm pretty happy that I have this problem of being over focused on the movie, because I love it and I'm good at it and I just spent the past 2+ years at my job (or should I say my "other" job) perfectly directionless, stressed out and miserable. So to have a purpose again, to have a purpose this huge and meaningful and certain, is like a gift from heaven.

I guess I can lose a few hours of sleep over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment